|“||You know, you turning up here is probably the second best thing to happen to me since I've been down here – I'm reserving first place for when we get out.||„|
|~ Amabel SwansonRecieve (file info)|
|Dr. Amabel Swanson|
|Voice actor:||Emma Adam|
Dr. Amabel Swanson is a female chemist and supporting character of Penumbra: Black Plague.
Video chat Edit
Before meeting her in person, Philip speaks with Amabel several times over a video chat - though while she can see his face, he cannot see hers. Through speaking with Amabel it's made explicit that Philip is infected:
Philip is already experiencing some of these symptoms:
- Philip hears her describe déjà vu twice - the same voice sample plays both times.
- Clarence has already begun speaking to Philip by this time.
Finding Amabel Edit
When Philip returns with the key card, he enters but does not find Amabel. After looking through her lab, he is attacked by a Tuurngait infected, which he dispatches by dropping a heavy weight onto its head.
Philip hears Amabel's shriek and discovers that Clarence utilized his ability to manipulate Philip's perceptions to fool him into seeing Amabel as an infected attacking him, thus tricking him into killing her. It's unknown what actions Amabel was truly taking - the Infected that Philip perceives blatantly attacks him (and can kill him), but walks after him much more slowly than previously encountered enemies.
Philip fortunately finds that, apparently foreseeing her possible death, Amabel had left notes on her PC instructing Philip in producing the necessary formula to cure himself of the infection, indirectly resulting in the "death" of Clarence and the beginning of Requiem.
- A common fan theory is that Amabel really was infected, but Tom Jubert refutes this.
- Other evidence, such as the presence of a similar infected tissue as the one tossed out of Dr. Richard Eminiss's window just before he attacks Philip, can be excused by the fact she was obviously studying infected material to devise a cure.
- Amabel Swanson shares her name with another character, Amabel Carlito, the Sous Chef of The Shelter. This was unintentional, and occurred due to writer Tom Jubert liking the name Amabel.
- ↑  [...] The idea, of course, was to have the player murder his only ally in the game, as a result of the alien infection that’s rotting his brain. [...] She’s the same person the moment she dies as she is when she meets the player, and that’s because she’s not really a character in the traditional sense – she’s more of a narrative tool. God, she’d hate me for saying that.
- ↑  Incidentally, if you noticed there was another character called Amabel in the game – yes, I screwed up. I like the name, OK?!