- "Good... good... good... good - it has been precisely 12 days, 11 hours, 39 minutes, and 12.4 seconds since something good last happened."
- ―Dr. Richard Eminiss - Penumbra: Black Plague[src]
|Dr. Richard Eminiss|
|Nature:|| Human (Formerly)|
|Occupation:||Archaic Chief Staff Biologist|
|Voice actor:||Sam A. Mowry|
|Appears:|| Penumbra: Black Plague|
Dr. Richard Eminiss (/ˈriCHərd ˌeməˈnəs/; born September 18, 1964) is a minor character and the tertiary antagonist in Penumbra: Black Plague and a major character in Penumbra: Requiem. He was an infected Archaic Chief Staff Biologist stationed at Shelter Research Station, Greenland.
- Information about Dr. Eminiss' general background before Penumbra: Black Plague prior should be put here.
Penumbra: Black Plague Edit
He is first heard after going into the computer room. He seems willing to cut off his hand so Philip Buchanon can use it on a scanner, and requests a saw. After a saw is given to him, however, he is suddenly taken over by the Tuurngait virus and attacks Philip (either that, or he was already controlled by it). He can be defeated by luring him into another room (the one with the button-controlled door) and locking the door.
His sanity even before his transformation was questionable at best, as he will sometimes rant about random trivia while speaking, and claims he recalls the day of his birth to the last millisecond. Dr. Amabel Swanson warns Philip about him, saying he was acting "strange" the last time she saw him. After Dr. Eminiss' first monologue, Clarence says that "He is like us, and yet he is not us", hinting at his infection and foreshadowing his transformation.
Penumbra: Requiem Edit
He is occasionally mentioned by the announcer, but has no appearance or effect on the gameplay. However, Philip is able to hear burst transmissions made on a walkie-talkie found in Penumbra: Overture (and sometimes messages made via mental telepathy) of the doctor conducting an exchange with Tom Redwood. In the end, Philip returns once more to the incinerator only to find out that Red, as he cryptically explains, was really Dr. Eminiss the whole time; This may have been made possible through the usage of the Tuurngait virus's mental connection. It is up for debate whether or not it is true that Red really was Dr. Eminiss, but several theories and videos created by fans which can be found online point out the possibility of this being a plausible explanation.
- Information about Dr. Eminiss' personality and a seperate paragraph about his physical appearance should be put here.
- Dr. Eminiss is voiced by Sam A. Mowry in Penumbra: Black Plague and Penumbra: Requiem, who would later voice Baron Alexander in the next game by Frictional Games Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
- It is possible Dr. Eminiss has hyperthymesia, a condition where the person possesses extremely detailed autobiographical memories, as he "recalls every single syllable of [their] conversation" and makes several other references to an abnormally good memory. However, it could've been the Tuurngait virus that caused this.
|Major||Philip Buchanon • Tom "Red" Redwood|
|Archaic||Howard LaFresque • Spider Hater • Wilbur Frisk • Eloff Carpenter • Amabel Swanson • Richard Eminiss|
|Tuurngait||Tuurngait Hivemind • Clarence • Tuurngait Infected|