- "Welcome to Shelter Research Station, Greenland. Shelter is an almost entirely self-sufficient installation built in the 70s to serve the purposes of the Archaic Elevated Caste in their pursuit and defense of ancient knowledge."
- ―Shelter Research Station, Greenland - Penumbra: Black Plague[src]
Shelter Research Station, Greenland, or simply - and more commonly - The Shelter, is a scientific research facility built on the site of the North-Western Mine, located at 81°41'29.0"N 58°18'55.4"W in the uninhabited frozen wastes of Northern Greenland, established on April 1, 1973 by the Archaic Central Caste. It is one of many installations built worldwide by the Archaic dubbed "The Shelter."
It had been built near the resting place of the Tuurngait, awakening the entity and leading to the facility losing most of its personnel and entering a state of overall abandonment and disrepair by 2001. It is mentioned and makes a brief appearance in Penumbra: Overture and serves as the main setting of Penumbra: Black Plague.
The Shelter is a science research base and originally home to a population of 88. It can be entered through the Greenland Mine, but it seems as if this is not the only entrance. Bren Stafferson was Chief Overseer since it's construction, a rank synonymous with commander and/or administrator, but was discharged for unknown reasons in 1980, after which Wilbur Frisk took his place as Chief Overseer of The Shelter.
Events of Penumbra: Black PlagueEdit
- Main Article: Penumbra: Black Plague
By the beginning of Penumbra: Black Plague, The Shelter is in a state of disrepair, with few survivors who had not been infected by the Tuurngait virus, notably Dr. Amabel Swanson, who was later accidentally killed by Philip due to his infection. By the end of Penumbra: Black Plague, the facility had held up, but its fate is unknown following Penumbra: Requiem.
Prior to the outbreak, there were 88 personnel on-site. However, by February 18th, 2000, casualties have dropped the number to 57.
Elevated Caste Edit
- Eloff Carpenter (Deceased)
Chief Staff Edit
- Wilbur Frisk - Chief Overseer (Transformed)
- Neil Oswald - Chief Chemist (Deceased)
- Howard LaFresque Chief Translator (Deceased)
- Derren Grey - Former Technology Unit - Excavation Unit (Deceased)
- Rod Smithe - Technology Unit (Unknown)
- Benito Carlo - Head Chef (Unknown)
- Bren Stafferson - Former Chief Overseer (Terminated; Alive)
- Troy Retonesque - Former Chief Chemist (Terminated; Deceased)
- Pierre Petit - Former Construction Unit (Terminated; Alive)
- Richard Archbrook - Former Chief Xeno Officer (Terminated; Deceased)